Monday, January 2, 2012

The Best Love Advice I Ever Got

Adorable,baby,cute,photography,funny,kids-1ec7f52c537fd1a056b180da2df411d5_h_large

Over the years I've gotten more relationship advice than I can count.
Maybe because relationships don't always come easily to me, maybe because {and I'll be the first to admit} I still struggle with some of those old holdover issues from my childhood, maybe because my preferred method of saying I love you is leaving dead birds on their porch. I'm not entirely sure.

Anyway, I've heard all the classics. 
"Don't go to bed angry" or "Never fight in bed" and "Sarah please stop peeing in the bed"
Blah blah blah.

Some love advice is worth thinking about. Some rare advice is worth adapting and modifying to suit your relationship, but every once in a blue moon, there is some advice that truly speaks to you.

And that is what I'm sharing with you now:

"Keep your eyes on the prize. Yes, he forgot your co-worker's name for the tenth time or he took two hours to text you back when he was swamped at work, but it probably doesn't mean he doesn't care about you. If you keep your perspective fixed on the goal-to be in a happy, functioning partnership-you're less likely to get tangled up in every minor annoyance. Remember, you both want the same thing."

To me, this means just let it go. Understand that people are human, and you can accept them and love them for who they are all you want, but it doesn't mean that they won't ever irritate you or piss you off over something small, or that you won't ever feel brushed off because they're busier than you'd like them to be, or that the two of you will never have a miscommunication. It means sometimes it's better to just laugh it off or forget about it, and remember that the two of you love each other, and enjoying that love is far more important than trying to make things perfect.


It's a lesson I'm still learning.
But I'm trying everyday.
Because I finally found my missing piece. 
And that's more important to me than all the annoyances and petty fights in the world.

What's the best advice you ever got about love?




No comments:

Post a Comment